The only way to truly experience safari is to get close to it, and the best way to get close to it, is to camp out in the bush bringing you close to nature.Camping safari offers you an adventure where you get close to nature, camp in the wilds of Africa, relax and stick your toes in the sand while you sit around the campfire at night, listening to Africa’s nightlife!
The roar of Lions, the laughs and whines of hyenas and the sweet melodies of birds singing early in the morning. Each night, make camp in a public or private campsite (with varying amenities), and sit under the stars before making your way to your tent. With our camping style safaris you will be pampered and attended to by our dedicated staff.
Food is cooked over the fire and sometimes you might give a hand to assist the crew in cooking, setting the tables and even setting the tents. Some camps offer hot water on a basin for shower while others have hot showers heated by wood fire welcoming you home after a day’s safari.
Accommodation is mostly in modern, large two-man tents with a sewn-in ground sheet,with a comfortable foam mattress spread on the ground sheet (clients bring their own sleeping bags ). In some itineraries accommodation can be a combination of camping and simple chalets or bungalows. We use private or public national parks campsites, with simple sanitary facilities. Some campsite have a shared bathroom and we encourage you to bring your own toiletries.These non-participation, eco-tourism safaris are conducted for small groups in relative comfort and safety. The best time for camping safari is during the dry seasons.
Important packing list for camping safari
- two or three medium size towels
- a tooth brush, tooth paste, razor, shaving cream and other toiletries
- Insect repellent with Deet.
- Sun screen with high level of protection.
- Common drugs such as aspirin, cough drops, Pepto Bismol, etc.
- soap (in a plastic soap dish for easy travel) & shampoo
- sleeping bag (you can contact us to reserve one at a fee)
- Tip – If you are not planning on camping often, you can usually find buyers for sleeping bags and other items if they are in good, clean condition.
- Warm clothing for the evenings (Ngorongoro night time temp. often drops to about 5 C)
- (head) flash-light
- First aid kit
- Rain gear
Please contact us to join a group or tailor make and advise an itinerary with best time in consideration.