Oldonyo Sambu is located 36 km north-west of Arusha on the highway to Nairobi. The centre of operations is Oldonyo Sambu Market (also known as Maiko Market)
The programme includes the following:
- Short hikes up the hills to view the beautiful Maasai land and to get a glimpse of Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Meru,
Longido and Kitumbeine
- Visits to traditional Maasai bomas, markets and watering dams
- Visit to a traditional healer and the centre of Maasai women specializing in making ornaments
- Horse, camel and donkey rides across Maasai country
There various tour options available:
Half day tours
1. The safari starts with a visit to a Maasai boma to see the traditional lifestyle of the tribe. Hike up the Oldonyo-Was Hill to view the surrounding plains and villages. Later, head to the centre of Maasai women specializing in ornament making and to the historic tower, a reminder of colonialism. Trek to a holy fig tree and thereon to a water spring.
2. Start by hiking up the Mareu Hill to view Mt. Kilimanjato, Mt. Meru, Longido, Kitumbeine and Monduli. Rest in a Maasai boma before heading to meet a traditional healer.
Full day tours
1. Hike up the Oldonyo-Was Hill, then rest in a Maasai boma before heading to meet a traditional healer. Visit the watering dams and a traditional meat camp or ‘orpul’. Proceed to the fields and to watch livestock in the lush pastures of the Maasai. Nearby is a zoo with Marabou storks, leopards and colobus monkeys. Time permitting, you will be shown the local method of beekeeping.
2. Start by hiking up Mareu Hill to view Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Meru, Longido, Kitumbeine and Monduli. Later, rest in a Maasai boma and visit a traditional healer. Go on to see the holy fig tree, water spring, meat camp and historic tower. End the journey with a meal prepared by the Maasai women.
A tailor-made overnight tour can be organized to include a visit to a Maasai boma, Maasai market and traditional healer. Go to the pastures to learn about Maasai livestock and enjoy a traditional ‘nyama choma’ or roast meat meal.
Income from the tourist visit will be used to improve the primary school and health centre in Oldonyo sambu.
Serengeti & Maasai Mara
On this 5 day Tanzania lodging / camping safari, you will visit the famous 7th wonder of the world, the Ngorongoro crater & TarangireView this Package
Arusha, Lake Manyara NP, Serengeti NP, Ngorongoro CA, Ngorongoro Highlands, Mto wa Mbu.View this Package
Copyrights © 2017 World Air Travel & Tours. All Rights Reserved | Crafted by: Tanzania Website Hosting